When buyers look for a home, there are many factors to consider. A good location, hardwood flooring, energy efficient/smart appliances and a laundry room are all desirable features. And then there’s storage space. People want to have ample storage.
Also, important are exterior and interior spaces that will accommodate all their belongings. It seems that no matter how much storage space a person has in their home they tend to outgrow it. Things accumulate and they are rarely checked to determine what needs to go. But decluttering regularly, along with implementing ways to create more storage in your home, can help you optimize space.
This article will focus on how to make the most of your home’s storage.
Tips for Decluttering
One way to optimize storage space is to declutter regularly. That way, you won’t have items you don’t need taking up precious real estate.
- Declutter on a Regular Basis: If you put yourself on a decluttering schedule, you will be less likely to let clutter accumulate. The schedule you create will be up to you. It can be weekly, monthly, or seasonal. Remember, the more time you leave between declutters, the more items you will have to deal with.
- Throw Away Things You Don’t Want Immediately: That piece of junk mail that just came in, that Christmas card that’s been sitting on the dining room table for a week. Instead of leaving them on a table or storing them somewhere where they will end up getting thrown out months later, put them in the trash right away. That dress or suit that you have not worn for decades. You will not miss them once you give them to Goodwill or another charitable organization.
- Be Hard on Yourself: When things hang around for a long time, they tend to gain sentimental value. But you must be tough when you declutter. If the item is just going to collect dust for the next few years, throw it out.
Tips to Create More Storage in Your Home
- Buy Multi-functional Furniture: There are plenty of multi-functional furniture tips and options that provide terrific storage solutions. For example, you may consider purchasing a coffee table with shelves underneath. There are also beds with headboard areas that can be used for storage.
- Add Shelving: Shelving is a great way to create more storage in your home. You can install them up high, so they don’t take up floor space. You can use them to hold books as well as decorative items so they will enhance your home’s aesthetic.
- Use Under-Bed Space: Beds take up a lot of room, but you can get some of this space back by storing items underneath. Some beds even come with drawers and fold out compartments on the bottom that are ideal for this purpose.
- See Through Storage Containers Are Ideal: See through storage containers can serve as great makeshift dressers. You can stack them in open areas to store clothing, art supplies, tools, devices and more. You can also put them inside closets to keep them more organized.
Optimizing Your Space When Selling Your Home
When it comes time to sell your home, you want to declutter it and make the most of your storage space. This will help show the property to its fullest potential.
I will provide tips to create storage in your home, so it sells quickly and brings you a high return on your investment. I can also help you find a new Chicago home with ample space to accommodate everything you own.
Contact me for a stress-free buying and selling experience.