You want your home to be your haven. You do everything to maintain a lovely aesthetic and keep it clean. But no matter how hard you try it can be difficult to maintain pest control. Homeowners will want to always keep their homes free from pests, but especially when they are selling the home. Having someone show up to an open house or a showing to find pests crawling in your rooms can be more than embarrassing. It can cost you a sale. Pest control should not only be addressed when the home goes on the market. It should be a regular part of home ownership. It is one part of maintenance you won’t want to put on the back burner. Doing so can result in significant damage to the home, an unhealthy living environment and unpleasant infestations.
What are the Biggest Pest Control Issues in the City?
If you live in the city, you may be dealing with any number of pests. Here are some that are often encountered in urban areas.
- Termites: Termites are small bugs with bulbous bodies. They feed on wood and can do considerable damage to the structure of your home.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches have flat oval shaped bodies and long antennae. They are typically brown or black and are attracted to food and warmth.
- Rats: Rats are large rodents with hairless tails. They are attracted to food and clutter and may carry disease. They can burrow into your home damaging its structure. They can also chew on electrical wire causing a potentially hazardous situation.
- Mice: Mice are smaller than rats and are attracted by food and clutter. Like rats, they carry disease and can do structural damage to the home.
- Bed Bugs: Bed bugs are typically too small to be seen by the human eye, but they leave tell tale bites on the torso that can become itchy and inflamed.
Do Pest Control Issues Vary Depending on the Type of Property You Live In?
Pest control issues vary depending on the type of property you live in. Therefore, there are different pest control for condos and apartments and pest control tips for Chicago single family homes.
For example, a homeowner may have a yard that’s likely to attract mice and insects. Keeping their property well-tended will reduce the chances of having a pest control issue.
People that live in an apartment or condo may encounter pest control issues due to a neighbor’s unsanitary habits. If this occurs, they may try speaking to the neighbor, the landlord or the HOA to get things taken care of while keeping their own homes as clean as possible.
Apartment and condo dwellers may also have the benefit of a landlord or HOA that will take care of their pest control problems for them. Look over your lease to find out what’s included as far as extermination is concerned.
Seasonal Pest Control Tips
Pest control measures may vary depending on the season. Here are some pest control tips that will keep your home free of pests year-round.
- Spring: Pests love to live in old boxes and hide out in cluttered areas. Discourage them from making a nest in your storage spaces by clearing old boxes during spring cleaning.
- Summer: A messy yard makes a terrific home for many types of pests. Keep them out of yours by trimming shrubbery when temperatures rise.
- Fall: During the fall, insects will seek shelter from the cold by crawling into gaps in your doors, windows and crawl spaces. Seal up these areas to keep your home pest free.
- Winter: Insects are attracted to moisture that can accumulate in attics and basements. Reduce humidity by keeping spaces well ventilated and turning up the heat.
A best bet to reduce pest issues is to have routine pest inspections. It is much more economical and effective to prevent than to react to pest issues.
What’s Included in a Home Pest Inspection?
A pest inspection is a great way to catch infestations in their early stages, before they get out of hand. It is highly recommended as a step to take before a home goes on the market.
A pest inspection involves an expert coming into the home and searching for signs of pests in areas they are likely to gather. They will use their expertise to seek out details like damaged wood and insect droppings
Pest Control Tips for Getting Rid of Issues
If you find pests in your home, there are several pest control tips that will help you handle things efficiently. Here are a few to consider.
- Sprays: Sprays can be used in specific spots to kill pests. You may have to spray repeatedly to keep things under control. Be sure to keep these out f the reach of children or dependents.
- Traps: Traps work to attract pests and capture them. Once captured, deadly chemicals are released to exterminate them.
- Call in a Professional: If your pest control efforts are not successful, you may have to call in a professional. The service will see to it that you don’t have any problems in the future.
How I Can Get Your Home in Great Shape for a Sale
If you are looking to sell or buy your Chicago home, I will help you get it in the best shape possible. I will address any issues you may be having and provide pest control tips so you can avoid embarrassing situations during open houses. I will apply my expertise to ensure your home sale goes as smoothly as possible